Water damage is an unfortunate and overwhelming event for any homeowner. Whether the damage is caused by flooding, rain, plumbing leak, or other sources, the consequences can be costly and time-consuming to fix. However, the sooner you take action, the more likely you are to save your property and avoid long-term damage. To ensure the best outcome, here are seven essential steps to take in the event of water damage.
- Assess the Damage: Immediately upon discovering the water damage, take an assessment of the scope of the damage. Determine the source of the water, turn off the water supply, and document the extent of the water damage. Consider contacting a certified water damage specialist for a complete assessment of the extent of the damage.
- Air Out the Affected Area: Once you have located the source of the water, start to air out the affected area. By opening windows, running fans, and turning on the AC, you can help the affected area to dry quickly. This will help to reduce the risk of mold and mildew growth.
- Remove Water-Damaged Items: To begin the cleanup process, start to remove items that have been damaged by the water. Remove furniture, carpets, and any other items from the affected area. Place them in a shaded, dry area and let them air dry.
- Use Dehumidifiers and Air Movers: To further speed up the drying process, use dehumidifiers and air movers in the affected area. These items help to circulate air and take moisture out of the air, enabling you to dry the area more quickly.
- Check for Structural Damage: Check the baseboards, drywall, and other wood components of the area to make sure that they haven’t sustained water damage. If there is any damage, contact a certified contractor to assess the extent of the damage and determine the best course of action.
- Sanitize the Area: Once the water damage is addressed and the area is thoroughly dry, it is important to sanitize the area. Use an appropriate cleaning product to kill any germs and bacteria that have grown in the affected area.
- Review the Damage: After all of the steps have been taken, it is important to review the damage and take an assessment of the steps that were taken to mitigate the water damage. Make sure to save all documents and photos taken of the water damage process in case you need to file an insurance claim or other legal action.
Following these seven steps is essential to mitigate water damage and to ensure the best outcome. Call Team GRS to ensure the most comprehensive assessment and action plan possible. Taking swift action is key to preventing further water damage and restoring your home back to the way it was before. Schedule your free consultation today by calling (864) 416-1721.